General Manager - Local Chemical Distribution (Central/Northern CA)
Company: Univar Solutions
Posted on: July 22, 2021
Want to work for a company that is reimagining
distribution? Join Univar Solutions, the premier global
distributor of chemicals and ingredients. Our goal is to
function as a direct extension of our customers’ teams; to serve as
an ally in their quest of business success.
At Univar Solutions, we’re building on our more than 90 years of
experience and drawing on deep resources – inventory and
logistics experts, scientists, PhDs, procurement, customer service,
sales and marketers-to deliver consultative services and an
unmatched portfolio to solve customers’ formulation and operational
challenges. When you work for Univar Solutions, you’ll play
an important role in shaping how we deliver more than chemical and
The General Manager maintains full commercial responsibility for
all locations within the West Central district, which includes the
central, coastal, and northern parts of California, plus part of
In this role, the GM must provide solid leadership, coaching,
direction, and resources to build a highly effective and engaged
team capable of executing and delivering service levels and
profitability for both tactical and strategic initiatives. The role
also ensures compliance with EH&S standards, return on asset
and working capital investment, control of expenses, attainment of
sales and distribution goals, and serving customer needs, while
delivering against financial goals.
- Achieve in-year financial goals for the district, including
sustainable, profitable growth and market share gains through a
culture of accountability, performance, and commitment to a
pipeline driven sales growth process.
- Drive data-based analyses and support the development of
strategies to differentially target customers and segments, reduce
churn, increase share of wallet, and increase opportunity pipeline
- Reviews and approves department sales forecasts and capital
budgets; prepares and submits district forecast and profit plan.
Develops and implements sales and pricing strategies, business
plans, and budgets with the objective of achieving Univar
Solutions’ financial goals.
- Develop and maintain key supplier relationships that support
national and local supplier initiatives; coordinate with Supply
Planning to negotiate supplier pricing and cost support as
- Leverage internal resources (e.g. forecasting, product
marketing managers, marketing managers, customer service, technical
service, credit, operations, supply chain, transportation, etc.) to
deliver against sales objectives and service customers.
- Gather and analyze data on the territory including competitor
activity, product and service trends, pricing trends, etc. and
- Collaborate with Credit and Commercial Pricing departments to
weigh appropriate risk to the company versus potential profit
- Collaborate with Supply Planners and Sales Support to insure
proper inventory requirements are communicated and achieved.
- Collaborate with Operations to ensure customer needs are met
and return on investment targets achieved.
- Collaborate with sales management from other Lines of Business
to drive total business performance in the territory.
- Build the highest performing, most engaged team in the West
Central market. Hire and develop talent, coach objectively for
performance and skill development, provide candid feedback, and
ensure the right people are in the right roles for business
- Administers company Human Resources programs within the
district involving performance and employee evaluations,
compensation, safety, health, regulation, security and welfare and
other benefit programs; participates in negotiations with local
labor unions and keeps management informed.
- Direct supervision for approximately 7 leaders in the district
(Sales Managers, District Commercial Manager, District Solvents
Manager etc.) and indirect supervision of between 30-60
- Fulfills supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the
organization's policies, procedures and applicable laws.
- At least a bachelor’s degree in business, science, or a
technical field. MBA preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant industry experience in
commercial/operations leadership. This includes driving results
through clear articulation of goals, execution on key behaviors,
and accountability. Distribution experience strongly desired.
- Ability to work across functions and boundaries to influence
and find mutually beneficial outcomes for the business; Can
maneuver through complex situations with tact; Anticipates
sensitive issues and adjusts accordingly.
- Business/Strategic orientation: must demonstrate strategic
thinking and ability to understand implications of decisions; must
possess high business acumen and analytical skills with capability
to drive a P&L, as well as key cash flow decisions and
performance. This includes an ability to think in terms of the
Univar Solutions enterprise and drive actions which are beneficial
to the business as a whole.
- Strong organization skills with the ability to handle diverse
and significant workload
- Projects a professional and positive image both inside and
outside of the company. Able to interact effectively to represent
Univar Solutions to customers and suppliers
- Demonstrated people/team leadership experience with proven
ability to motivate, engage, and develop a high performing team.
Ability to coach and provide constructive feedback to overcome
- Must possess ability to establish strong working relationships
and persuade/influence others; ability to negotiate and defend
pricing, contracts, and agreements with suppliers and customers in
a mutually beneficial manner while maintaining professionalism and
Univar Solutions is an equal opportunity employer. All
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and
will not be discriminated against based on their race, gender,
sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin,
age, disability, veteran status, or other protected
We offer comprehensive benefits to employees including
medical, dental, STD, LTD and life insurance, 401k, generous PTO
and much more.
Keywords: Univar Solutions, Fairfield , General Manager - Local Chemical Distribution (Central/Northern CA), Other , Fairfield, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!